It can be confusing to know if you have to refrigerate your CBD oil or not. There are so many products on the market that claim their product does not need to be refrigerated, but others say it needs to be kept cold. If you want to keep your product fresh and potent for as long as possible, then follow these simple tips.
What Is CBD Oil and Its Uses?
CBD oil comes from the cannabis plant. It is usually extracted using a solvent such as CO2, but it can also be carefully extracted using water, alcohol, or other natural solvents.
There are a few ways to use CBD oil. You can take it sublingually by placing it under your tongue or orally by adding it to drinks like coffee or food and consuming it. You can also apply your CBD oil directly to the skin for localized problems such as acne, painful joints, low back pain, and muscle soreness.
Related Article: Best CBD Oil for Seizures & Epilepsy: Top 5 Brands in 2022
When Do You Need to Refrigerate Your CBD Oil?
This is the big question — if you’re using a CBD oil or tincture, do you need to refrigerate it?
The answer depends on your preference and how long you want your product to last. However, there are some general rules:
If You Plan on Using Your Tincture Right Away
If you’re not going to use your CBD oil for a while after opening it, then it does need refrigeration. If the temperature is too high or fluctuates constantly, the cannabinoids will degrade and lose effectiveness. Prolonged exposure to light can also damage them, so you should store your CBD oil in an opaque container inside your refrigerator
If You Plan on Using Your Tincture in the Next Few Days
Many companies that sell oil tinctures recommend storing them at room temperature (around 77 degrees Fahrenheit). CBD oil, capsules, and edibles typically do not need to be refrigerated. However, they should be stored in a dark place, such as a cupboard, to protect them from light and heat.
If the Room Temperature is Too Warm
If you live in a region with hot and humid weather, then keeping your CBD oil inside a warm, stuffy cupboard can affect also its quality. To prolong its shelf life, you may need to refrigerate your CBD oil.
Do you have to refrigerate your CBD oil? CBD products need not be placed in the refrigerator if you know how to store them properly.
However, if you’re not going to use the opened bottle within six months, then we recommend keeping it in your refrigerator to make sure it stays fresh and potent for as long as possible. If you’re sure to finish the bottle after opening it, then storing it in a dark, cool place such as the cupboard or refrigerator should be fine.
Tips for Keeping Your CBD Oil Fresh
To maintain the effectiveness of your CBD oil, you need to know the proper storage.
- Store your CBD oil in a dark place such as the cupboard or refrigerator. This will protect it from light and heat, which can degrade the cannabinoids.
- Keep your CBD oil cool. The ideal storage temperature is around 77 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use an opaque, airtight container. This will keep out light and air, which can also degrade the CBD oil.
- Store your CBD oil upright. This will help keep the liquid from gathering in the cap and degrading the product.
CBD oil capsules and edibles do not need to be refrigerated but should be stored in a dark place away from light as well.
For keeping CBD oil inside the fridge, be sure to follow these tips:
- Cover the bottle with an opaque material, or you can keep it inside a dark container. The important thing is to prevent light from infiltrating the container each time people open the refrigerator’s door.
- Make sure that you close the bottle’s lid tightly before storing your CBD oil inside the fridge.
- If you notice that the CBD has separated from its carrier oil, give it a good shake before using it.
- Do not put the product in the freezer. You risk breaking the bottle, and freezing may also damage the essential compounds. You’d also need to thaw the frozen CBD oil each time you use it, which can greatly affect the quality of the oil.
Benefits of CBD Oil
If you’re interested in using CBD oil, there are many potential benefits. Here are just a few:
- Relieve pain — You can use CBD to relieve arthritis or joint pain without the side effects of prescription medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen.
- Treat anxiety disorders like a social phobia — Studies have shown CBD may be effective in treating anxiety disorders, especially social phobia. It can also help with disorders like ADHD.
- Aid sleep — If you struggle with insomnia or other sleeping problems, CBD can help. Many people find it easier to fall asleep and stay asleep when taking a product containing cannabidiol before bedtime. Some products combine CBN and CBD for maximum effect.
- Ease symptoms of cancer and chemotherapy — Some people find that CBD oil helps to reduce nausea, vomiting, and pain caused by cancer treatments like chemotherapy.
- Reduce inflammation — CBD is effective in reducing inflammation which can lead to better health overall. This helps reduce swelling from injuries, speed healing, and lessen the effects of autoimmune diseases.
There are many other potential benefits of CBD oil, and the research is still ongoing. If you’re interested in trying it out, talk to your doctor to see if it’s right for you.
Related article: Best CBD Oil for Weight Loss (2022)
Potential CBD Oil Side Effects
CBD oil may be a natural product, but that doesn’t mean it won’t have side effects. You may experience some minor issues within the first few weeks of using CBD oil, including:
- Dizziness — The calming effect can make you feel woozy when standing up too quickly.
- Diarrhea — This is the most common side effect of CBD oil and usually goes away after a few weeks. If it persists, discontinue use.
- Dry mouth — CBD can cause your salivary glands to produce less saliva, resulting in a dry mouth. Sucking on ice chips or drinking plenty of water can help alleviate this symptom.
If you develop any serious side effects or health problems while taking CBD oil, discontinue use and speak with your doctor.
Related Article: How Long Does Cannabidiol (CBD) Stay In Your System?
CBD oil is a natural product that comes from the marijuana or hemp plant. It has many potential benefits, including relieving pain and inflammation. It may also help with anxiety disorders and depression as well. If you want to get all the benefits that it can offer, you have to make sure that your CBD oil is properly stored — may it be inside a cupboard or your refrigerator.